Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Miracle Meal

As you can imagine, I'm broke as a joke after my NYC adventures. And even at the ripe old age of well, me, I still play that game of putting off ALL shopping in lieu of bargain shopping. But dinner calls. So after work tonight, which was a surreal experience, what with RCC's block being closed down this afternoon for Tom Hanks sightings at HBO's premier of the John Adams miniseries at the historic Byrd Theatre across the street, I vowed to use the power of delicious rose (Chat. de Roquefort 2006 "Corail" Cotes de Provence) and Bhangra music (thanks to WRIR), to make a creative and hopefully edible dinner with only my meager provisions. Stale bread? Toast it! Some decent tin of tuna fish, mixed with French capers, salt, pepper, a tiny bit of fresh mint (had to chuck the rest), some arugula (had to chuck the rest), a swirl of leftover aioli, and a bit of queso blanco "borrowed" from my generous but unwitting roomie, and voila! Gourmet Tuna Melt! And boy was it fantastic with Provencal Rose. The problem now is a choice between the rest of the rose and my expansion homework...life is hard.