Friday, June 19, 2009

Breakthroughs are Necessarily Messy...


(Julia's notes)
Yay! More real evidence of progress! It only seems symbolic if you haven't heard the screaming saws and huffed the billowing orange dust for two days (oh, and dodged the less than enthusiastic store neighbors). I could wax poetic about brick structures and the heartwarming permanency of old school east coast architecture but WE HAVE A PORTAL!

"Shhh!," says V. with a wink and a (Richmond) nod "([Lion*Witch*Wardrobe] + Fight Club=SECCO)."

So after 3 hours and $40 and 2 trips to city hall and immeasurable soul hemorrhaging I finally got our effing sidewalk scaffolding permit from the city replete with caveats, but don't take my word for it...see right. And yes, that says, "flagman."

I'll be racing back from Fathers Day in DC Sunday to finish up demolition on the old, bricked in windows so the mason can open them up early Monday morning. I love smashing lead-painted glass and rotted wood window frames...makes all those beers taste even more delicious!

Shout out to my brick mason, Chris McBrayer.: he is talented, efficient, professional, creative and tidy. Even if he is a bastard for making a veal fed almost 40 year old girl demo ancient windows ;) Dude--isn't that what 19 year old boys are for?! Oh well, at least I don't need a silkwood shower when I get off work.

Left is Chris finishing the connection between RCC & SWB Friday morning. We had fun during the weekly wine tasting taking customers and supporters through the PORTAL. Here's Sara, David & Peter peeking through...