Monday, February 15, 2010

The Bar Bones, Richmond Rooftops

So, I didn't tell Tom how much I fear ladders. It's not a fear of heights. I'm just fine going up, but the awkward, precarious, equipment-laden decent not so much. The good news was the weather FOR ONCE cooperated. So up we went. The hood guys had strategically placed the exhaust equipment a few days before so we (from here on out referring to the "royal we" means Tom if skilled or physical labor is involved, and yours truly if taking iPhone pix, mixing cocktails, crunching numbers, uploading iPhone pix, distracting the subcontractors or occasionally pushing a broom is involved) cut through 90 years' worth of really nasty, smelly, confusing roofing materials to start the venting shaft. Did I say nasty? That smell--rendered by Tom's Sawzall smoking while it tore through the abitument and amosite-laden black schmutz--reminded me of my childhood, specifically of naval shipyards in the early 70's and tire burning protests in mid-80's Napoli. Not delicious when stuck in the lipgloss.

Today Jim Jones (hood guy) and his trusty partner will bore through the upstairs office (hi, neighbor!), insert the 2 story welded monstrosity, wrap it and build a chase around it. Then it's fire suppression time...

In the way cool department, Tom has started the front bar! Basic structure went in over the weekend--really starting to look like more than an abandoned rec room now. My good buddy Victoria, an intrepid online shopper with impeccable design sense found us some sexy, heavily discounted barstools with FREE SHIPPING. I love free. And if you're like me and not nearly as tall as you perceive yourself to be, you'll love the fact that they adjust for height AND they swivel. Looking good....

Today Chef and I are going to pick up closeout flooring tile for the kitchen and bath, and I'm going to learn how to mix grout and handle Durock (the cement board, not the pork). Or I'll pour beers while Chef does it. Everyone's got his/her skill set. Then it's off to go six burner shopping!